I had the opportunity to explore about Teochew cuisine with Chef Eric Low.
Chef Eric Low is the Chef-Owner of Lush Epicurean Culinary Consultancy, established in 2012. He has a total of 28 years of culinary experience in different disciplines of a professional chef.
Good news for those who loves to cook! On the 14th of November Saturday 8pm, Chef Eric Low will be showcasing 3 Teochew Recipes using ingredients which are available in Sheng Shiong Supermarket. Do note down this date and time to catch him on the new series of Sheng Siong Show at MediaCorp Channel 8.
Meanwhile, check out some interesting facts about Teochew cuisine which Chef Eric Low has shared:
1) Teochew cuisine is a not one of the eight major schools of Chinese Cuisine but a sub division of Cantonese Cuisine which is one of them.
2) Teochew cuisine is the healthiest form of Chinese Cuisine utilising more water based or related cooking methods with emphasis on freshness, straightforward cooking techniques and simple subtle seasonings to keep the natural taste of ingredients.
3) Teochew cuisine is the only cuisine in the world to use savoury ingredients like pork lard, pork jowl meat, shallots, spring onions, fermented red beancurd, coriander, quail eggs, egg noodles and rice wine for desserts.
4) Teochew cuisine is the major influencer root to Thai and Vietnamese Cuisines giving them the most important seasoning ingredient: Fish Sauce.
5) Teochew cuisine is the only style of Chinese banquet cuisine appreciation that starts and end with bitter tea for palate cleansing.
6) Teochew cuisine is the only cuisine that has many juxtapositions of salty and sweet taste elements on the palate. As Teochews love to say in dialect: “Puah Kiam Tiam” which means half salty half sweet. Both cookbooks are available at leading bookstores in Singapore.
To engage and check out more about Chef himself and his workshops, visit: http://lushepicurean.com/